Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Veal Limone - an italian childs wonderbread pb & j


This recipe is like a little piece of my childhood all wrapped up into one perfect dish.  I remember asking my mom for veal limone as a kid.  Being that it is such a simple and quick dish to make - I usually got my wish.  That... and the fact that I was an only child which probably meant I could of asked my Mom to raise the cattle herself so my veal would be the freshest of fresh and she would have obliged.  Love you mum.

I would ask for this dish fairly often - just about as often as a normal child would ask for a pb and j on white wonder bread. and while my school kiddy friends busted out their lunchables and granola bar snack... i'd be busting out my tupperware with my leftover veal.... and pasta snack....

With a slightly modified version of a personal childhood favorite - I now present to you - my foodie bloggie lovers.... 

Veal Limone

You will need: serves 4
* 1/2 cup all purpose flour
* pinch of salt
* 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
* 4 large white veal scallops - pounded to a thickness of about 1/8th of a inch
* 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 4 tbsp unsalted butter
* 1 cup white wine
* 1/2 cup chicken stock
* handful of fresh leaf italian parsley - chopped
* 2 tbsp capers
* 3 garlic cloves - chopped
* juice from 1 large lemon


In a plate combine the flour, pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine thoroughly. Quickly dip the veal into the flour mix and set aside.  Heat the oil in a large pan at medium high heat until it is hot but not smoking.   Add 1 tbsp of the butter and (working in batches) cook the veal until just golden brown on each side (this will take less than 1 minute per side).  Transfer to a plate and set aside.  Next use the wine to deglaze the pan with a wooden spoon, scraping up any brown tasty bits.  Bring the wine to a boil and reduce by half.  Add the chicken stock, garlic, lemon juice and capers and cook the mixture for 6 minutes (the sauce will thicken slightly - if it does not thicken up enough - you may add just a sprinkle of flour and stir vigorously).  Add the rest of the butter and the parsley.  Add the veal back to the pan just to heat through.  Garnish with some extra parsley and serve right away!

Suggested pairings:
Simple Spaghettini with oil and garlic
or
Roasted fingerling potatoes and green beans
or
Mushroom risotto

xoxo
Chef Natty

2 comments:

  1. would you ever pair this with the Garlicky pasta? Or too many flavours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean the garlicky pesto? or the garlicky rapini with chili peppers? Either way you could pair both. I have done this dish with a capellini with some light pesto as well. In my house growing up this was served as a side dish with almost anything!

    ReplyDelete