Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ki's got game.



If you've been a Torontonian for any decent amount of time you must be familiar with the sushi staple in the financial district - Ki.  Been around for quite some time and is probably old news to most -  However, after the recent addition of a new Blowfish location in Ki's stomping grounds, they were posed with a challenge to either step up their game - or founder among the stiff competition Blowfish brings - many of which already considered their king west location to be superior to Ki long before location #2 sprouted about. 

Well - after a fairly surprising dinner experience at Ki last weekend with hubs, I have to take my hat off to them.  I was shocked by the new levels of service they have introduced since the last time I dined there.  To start, they brought over a fantastic little amuse bouche right after we ordered (tweaking my interest already as this is only done in very few restaurants in the city - more so the very high end ones).  First course is served - and within about 30 seconds our waiter returned with a tiny dish of Kyoto miso sauce.  He said "I noticed there could have been a little more sauce with your Kiwi tuna so I brought you extra in case you wanted it".  Well done fancy waiter man because I probably would have called you back over to ask for just this - had you not attentively noticed it on your own.  Interest officially heightened. 

Moving on - as I wait for the next course to arrive, I am surprised by a little intermezzo (again - never done here before).  A delightful shot glass filled with an icey mix of prosecco, pear nectar and alot of other delish things that at the time - I could not put my finger on.  Mr. fancy must have noticed my delight because only moments later - he brings over an envelope with the recipe for the intermezzo inside.  I was thinking what an amazing frozen summer drink it would make - and now I can make pitchers and pitchers of it for all my lovlies (you're welcome ladies....and hubs).  Three pointer for Mr. fancy pants. and possibly an extra point for each drunken friend that will enjoy it this summer.

The food was top notch, service had to rank up in my top 5 & overall, I could really tell that Ki had stepped up their game to battle out blowfish part deux.  I highly suggest those who haven't tried it - do - and those that have tried it before and maybe were a tad underwhelmed - try it again now that they've brought sexy back to their tuna with crispy rice.


Bravo Ki.  Keep those gloves on - I'll be in your corner.


xo Chef Natty

No comments:

Post a Comment