Tuesday, June 14, 2011

shut up and EAT it!



I've developed a bit of an obsession with Anthony Bourdain after reading his book Medium Raw.  If anyone has ever seen his show No Reservations, you'll know him to be the blunt and somewhat crude man, traveling the world - eating his way through it - country by country.  He writes the exact same way he speaks on the show and it truly makes for some solid reading entertainment.  The way he speaks about food, with such passion, emotion and vivid description is actually captivating for any true foodie.  The way he speaks about his disdain for certain people, places and and behaviors is also just as fantastic, and quite hilarious at times (one of the chapters in his book is "Alan Richman is a Douchbag"). 

One particular part of his book really sparked my interest.  His utter distain for vegetarians is pretty hilarious and dispite the blunt delivery, there is one point I must completely agree on.  Here's a little segment from the book to demonstrate.

"Okay, I am genuinely angry - still - at vegetarians.  That's not shtick.  Not angry at them personally, mind you - but in principle.  A shocking number of vegetarians and even vegans have come to my readings, surprised me with an occasional sense of humor, refrained from hurling animal blood at me - even befriended me.  I have even knowingly had sex with one, truth be told.  But what I've seen of the world in the past nine years has, if anything, made me angrier at anyone not a Hindu who insists on turning their nose up at a friendly offer of meat.
I don't care what you do in your home, but the idea of a vegetarian traveler in comfortable shoes waving away the hospitality - the distillation of a lifetime of training and experience - of, say, a Vietnamese pho vendor (or Italian mother-in-law, for that matter) fills me with spluttering indignation.
No principle is, to my mind, worth that; no Western concept of "is it a pet or is it meat" excuses that kind of rudeness.
I often talk about the "Grandma rule" for travelers.  You may not like Grandma's Thanksgiving turkey.  It may be overcooked and dry - and her stuffing salty and studded with rubbery pellets of giblet you find unpalatable in the extreme.  You may not even like turkey at all.  But it's Grandma's turkey.  And you are in Grandmas house.  So shut the fuck up and eat it.  And afterward, say, "Thank you, Grandma, why, yes, yes of course I'd love seconds". - Anthony Bourdain, Medium Raw



Now I understand that the desire for a clean conscience and a cleaner colon can be important for some people.  But I have to say, I think my friend Anthony does make a point.  Food is art.  Almost anything that stimulates one or more of the senses can, in my opinion, be considered art.  And when you are in Italy - eating at a small Nonna's kitchen type restaurant with no menu - I'd be eating anything they put infront of me with a smile on my face.  I'd be thinking how amazing it is to be sitting right there, being served the authentic food of whatever country I am in - and i would just. eat. it.! It is a gift.  Don't question it. Just shut up and enjoy.  Leave the non-dairy, meat free, no animal product, animals should have the right to vote bullshit at home - and eat it.  If you're in Grandma's house - you eat what Grandma gives you.

I urge all of your to pick up a copy of Bourdains book for a good summer read.  Anything this guy loves, he loves it with passion, and the same goes for everything he hates (and there are many). 

For a look at one of my particular favorite segments from his show No Reservations.  Click on this link  for his episode in Rome and a glimpse and one of the most amazing pasta dishes I have ever seen.  Simple and splendid.

Chef Natty

No comments:

Post a Comment