Tuesday, October 4, 2011

chickpea n' truffle oil crostini


Don't you hate it when you get home from a grocery shop only to realize you forgot something?  Even worse, if you are throwing a dinner party - get home - and realize you forgot something crucial for that dinner?  I've learned from experience that asking hubs to go out and quickly grab me some milk, eggs, the forgotten parsley...  only results in alot of huffing and puffing.  For a recent dinner party, the whole hor'derve thing slipped my mind.  I was making such a big dinner that I forgot that my guests might like a little taster when they arrive to nibble on with their welcome cocktail.  The solution?  what is in my pantry and fridge that I can whip up as a pre-dinner snack?  Since I am a mega chickpea fan, I decided to slice up some bread from a nice crispy baguette a la Village Cheesemonger, toast it, and make a little spread.  It actually ended up being quite delish and a perfect little amuse bouche.  I highly recommend them for a quick, easy and most importantly, tasty snack - suitable for any time!

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 tbsp EVOO
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
salt and pepper
truffle oil for drizzle
1 baguette (sliced on an angle and toasted in the oven until slightly brown)

In a hot pan, heat up your EVOO and add in your onions.  Cook until soft - do not brown.  Add in the chickpeas and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.  When the chickpeas get softer, use a wooden spoon to smash them down to create a little chickpea and onion chunky paste.  Add the thyme and salt and pepper to taste.

When you are ready to serve, simply spoon out some of the chickpea mixture onto a crostini and then drizzle with some truffle oil for that perfect finishing touch.

Serve & Enjoy!

xo Chef Natty

No comments:

Post a Comment