Monday, December 19, 2011

Duck Proscuitto, Caramelized Onion Chutney & Cheddar Grilled Cheese


Its the mostttt wonderful timeee of the yearrrr!

I don't know about all of you but I am SO EXCITED for Christmas.  Anyone that knows me would tell you what an insane Christmas nutcase I am.  My tree is up as soon as socially acceptable (some time very soon after Halloween), my Christmas shopping has been done for weeks, and 98.1 Christmas station has been playing in my car since mid November.  As Christmas morning lurks around the corner, I am finding myself already dreaming about hubs and my traditional xmas morning breakfast.  A little lemon ricotta pancakes with strawberries, whipped cream and syrup.  The best part? I get to sit and play with my new presents like a toddler while hubs makes this merry morning feast.  Since I still have a few more days to go, I decided to share another hubby special recipe that he whipped up for me one not-so-jolly aka hungover Sunday morning.  This savoury, sweet, melty, indulgent, gourmet treat is an absolute must try. It's simply sinful.  yum. yum. yum.

Ingredients: Makes 1 Sammy
1-2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 slices French Bread (sliced 1 inch thick)
100g Keens Cheddar (a la village cheesemonger) shaved/crumbled pieces
70g thinly sliced duck prosciutto (a la village cheesemonger)
1 tbsp Killer Condiments Caramelized Onion Chutney (a la village cheesemonger)
Special Kitchen Gadget: Panini Press

Butter both sides of both pieces of bread.  Layer the caramelized onion chutney on first.  Add the cheddar, then the duck prosciutto and add the second slice of buttered bread.

Using a panini press set at 350, heat the sammy until golden brown on the outside and melty cheesy on the inside!

Optional:  Grate some extra cheese on top and bake in the oven for another couple minutes until top cheese melts for an extra cheesy time.

Serve & Enjoy!

xo Chef Natty

1 comment: