Tuesday, June 22, 2010

La Castile - dinner and tournament




Breaking news - a medieval times look-a-like restaurant with crappier food DOES in fact exist.  For the oldies that are probably familiar with this ancient steakhouse - I truly have to question how this place has lasted so many years.  I really wasn't quite sure what to do with the cutlery and plate - do I eat with it? do I fashion a sword and shield out of it for an intermezzo of jousting? who knows.

The meal began with a less than mediocre Caesar Salad.  I must say, the over-dressed, unevenly mixed, semi-fresh salad was a real treat.  Especially the leaves that were hanging off the plate as they served it to me.  Top quality presentation.

I have to give them credit for one thing,  the starter bread which I was anticipating to be a lovely basket of buttery garlic bread (much like The Octagon) was like none other.  They actually managed to leave out all of the actual bread and leave us with only the crusty nubs from the end of the baguette.  Yum!

The real star of the show had to be the Chateaubriand for two that I shared with hubs.  I wasn't aware that medium-rare translated to --- not a hint of pinkness and a dryness no one should ever have to experience.  We had to saturate each bite with an inordinate amount of Bearnaise sauce just to be able to chew.   If anyone would like a more sensory experience of this - simply open your mouth and take deep breaths for about 2 minutes until all the moisture has disappeared - then stuff about 19 saltine crackers into your mouth and chew.

The most shocking accomplishment of all?  They were actually able to suck every tiny bit of flavor out of each and every vegetable that accompanied this already stellar meal.

Fantastic job La Castile - you've reached levels of shittiness that I have never experienced before.

slow clap.

No comments:

Post a Comment