Monday, July 11, 2011

Basic Tomato Sauce ... long overdue


So as I was deciding what to blog about today, I took a gander through some of my old posts and realized I have yet to post a basic tomato sauce recipe.  I figured since so many of my recipes are pasta dishes, it would be a disservice to my tiny chef's in the making to not provide you with an easy reference to a good, basic tomato sauce.  This is your standard sauce - I've done about a million varieties to it - added wine, added meat to flavor the sauce, pinch of sugar to sweeten the tomatoes etc... But if you are looking for your basic, delicious, multi-purpose sauce - this is your reference...

Ingredients: (makes about 5-6 cups of sauce)
6-8 chopped garlic cloves (depending on size)
1 spanish onion (chopped)
1/4 cup EVOO
2 28 oz cans san marzano tomatoes
salt
1 bunch basil (leaves only)

In a large pot, heat up your EVOO over medium heat and add your onions and garlic.  Cook until soft but not brown (about 5 minutes).  Add in your tomatoes and stir.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours.  Using a hand mixer, lightly pulse the tomatoes to makes a uniform sauce (do not over mix, you don't want it completely smooth).  Add in your basil and 2 tbsp salt.  Taste the sauce and add more salt if needed.  Use with any pasta, lasagna, eggplant parmesan or anything else you love with a good classic tomato sauce!

xo Chef Natty

No comments:

Post a Comment