Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Perfect Potato Salad


Good Morning Foodie Friends.  Now that we are well into summer and the warm weather is upon us,  I've been conjuring up some summertime favorites to share.  For those of you that live in a condo that prohibits BBQ's, you might be going into BBQ withdrawal like me.  As hubs knows very well, I have a weak spot for hot dogs.  It is a strange addiction.  One that I have, at times, gone to great lengths to fulfill.  Running around town like a crazy person trying to find change because I NEED to get a vendor dog from the stand I just passed on the street.  I eat them as a late night treat after a night out, I eat them alone shopping on bloor street (something alot of girls I know would never dare do), and most importantly, I eat them in the summertime, poolside at my parents house, straight off the BBQ.  Along with many other BBQ treats that are among my favorite, one of my favorite summertime BBQ sides to any piece of grilled meat is the classic potato salad.  This chef Natty original is a dish I threw together on Father's Day for the 78 Dad's I needed to visit on that day (Dad, Step-Dad, Father-in-law....) and it was a huge hit.  I highly urge all you lucky BBQers to try this one out this weekend.

Ingredients (note - this makes a large bowl of potato salad)

3 lbs small potatoes  (mix white and red if desired)
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped scallions
Kosher salt
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
4 tbsp dijon mustard (I used a flavored mustard - maple glazed)
10 eggs
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
Freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp white vinegar (optional)


Place the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in a large pot of water (potatoes covered). Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until easy to pierce with a fork (about 20 minutes).   Drain the potatoes in a colander to cool.

At the same time, put your eggs in another large pot and cover them with water (at least 1 inch above the eggs).  Add a touch of white vinegar to to water (this helps peel the shell off once they are boiled).  Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes for a nice hard boiled egg.  Rinse in cold water and then peel the shell off.  Cut the eggs into quarters.


Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, milk, mustard, dill, cayenne pepper, paprika, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside.




When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters or in half, depending on their size. Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, pour enough dressing over them to moisten. Add the eggs, celery and green onion, and some more salt and pepper to taste. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature.

xo Enjoy!

Chef Natty

No comments:

Post a Comment