Thursday, August 11, 2011

Grilled Peaches, Prosciutto, Sheep's Milk Ricotta & Honey on Crostini


Gooooooooooood Morning friends.  I hope you are all having a wonderful Thursday.  I am having a moderately acceptable Thursday, which is, in comparison to the last week and a half i've had, friggin fantastic.  I have been super sick for pretty much the entire month of August thus far, and today I think I might finally grace the outdoors with my presence since I am starting to feel like a hobbit.  It was a cold, turned worst cough of my life, turned bronchitis, with a sprinkle of nausea from the antibiotics and a side of severe acid reflux also from the meds (aka feels like you have a sharp chicken bone stuck in your esophagus).  I am convinced the culprit must have been at my brother's wedding two weeks ago and infected me.  If you are reading this and you know who you are - I hate you.

Now, onto more important things - food!  The night before my demon cough set in, I had my lovely sister and her boyfriend/soon-to-be-fiance (are you reading B?) over for dinner.  In an effort to keep the appetizer simple and fresh, I decided to put together a little platter.  We all know the classic Italian combo of prosciutto and melon, but lately i've been seeing a lot of peaches in lieu of the melon and I was intrigued.  I decided to take a trip over to The Village Cheesemonger, pick up the best prosciutto I could get my hands on, fresh sheep's milk ricotta (which had actually JUST been made that morning), a nice baguette to crostini-ify, and then picked up some fresh summer peaches.  Throw a little honey into the mix and you will have a flavor explosion that is utterly addicting.  No leftovers on this baby I can promise you that much.

Ingredients (serves 4)
3 peaches ( pitted and cut into quarters)
12 pieces of good quality prosciutto
2 cups (or more if you like) of good quality ricotta cheese (preferably sheep's milk ricotta)
1 baguette (sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces for crostini)
4 tbsp honey
EVOO

In a pan, heat up a light drizzle of EVOO over medium to medium-high heat and grill your peaches face down for 5 minutes.  Turn them over and grill for another 2 minutes.  Place in a bowl to cool and set aside.

 Drizzle some EVOO and a pinch of salt over your crostini and lightly toast until there is a nice light brown crust.

When you are ready to serve, simply plate your prosciutto, ricotta, honey and peaches on a platter.  You can assemble them before you serve them or you can let your guests put them together (I like to plate it all on a wooden board separate - makes it more fun).  To assemble just take a crostini, top with a peach slice, prosciutto, a dollop of ricotta and a drizzle of honey.  Serve & Enjoy :)




xo Chef Natty

No comments:

Post a Comment