Monday, May 10, 2010

Asuka = Asucka

Last week's lunchtime fiasco.

Last week in an effort to expand out from my usual work lunch sushi place (Itchiriki) -I searched "best sushi in Toronto" on google for my lunchtime date with intern buddy.  Asuka in Yorkville came up as a top 10 pick so we decided to give in a try - especially since I had heard good things about it from numerous friends. 

Now,  I am not usually one to give a reso a public bad review unless they deserve it - and this one deserves it big time.

Not only was the food less than mediocre - the service was terrrrrible.  I ended up late back to work because somehow a seaweed salad and a spicy tuna roll mission took over an hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish. 

After intern buddy and I waited patiently for 5.....10.....15...and then 20 minutes for our bill (asking for it repeatedly at each of those intervals), we decided to get up and walk over to the cash to pay for it ourselves. 

After about 45 seconds of standing in that line-up, I was then yelled at by a man who complained that I was apparently standing too close to him (ps this restaurant is the size of my cubicle)... After another looooooong wait (and a few elbows to the head from their staff since obviously their debit/credit machine is placed in a 4 inch wide pathway that leads to the kitchen)  I finally am able to pay for my sorry sushi.
... Oh but wait...not before an irritated woman behind me gets pissed off  because I am paying with a credit card (which to her means its my fault the machine is slow).   She advised me to leave and go get cash... I continued on silently while secretly mind punching her in the face....

All in all - a stressful, unsatisfying & cramped lunch with mean groucho patrons and incompetent staff.  The only positive? The cute little man that made my sushi was very smiley and polite.  We like him and him only.

Itchiriki, I am sorry for doubting you.

xo Chef Natty

No comments:

Post a Comment