Wednesday, March 31, 2010

top 5 around the world

When I travel I always find it helpful to have someone tell me where to go out for dinner.  Therefore, I decided to share with you some of my absolute favorite spots to eat when i'm away from home - and also what to have once you get there!

1. Fleur De Lys


With a 12,000 bottle wine loft, 3, 4 or 5 course prix fixe menus as well as a la carte selections and an absinth bar this restaurant is one of the reasons Las Vegas is the culinary capital of North America. Located in Mandalay Bay, I was lucky enough to have hubs take me here for my 24th birthday last summer (which just so happened to be the day after my vegas bachelorette party….but that’s another story… for another blog…)

Our menu selections that night included:

AHI TUNA TARTARE
Shaved Fennel, Ginger Ponzu, Fennel Seed Tuile

ROASTED ORGANIC BEETS
Fresh Goat Cheese, Poached Quail Egg, House Cured Duck

SLOW BUTTER POACHED MAINE LOBSTER
Herb Späetzle, Wild Mushrooms, Alsatian Choucroute, Paprika

PRIME FILET MIGNON TOPPED WITH SAUTÉED FOIE GRAS
Black Truffles and Red Wine Essence

2. MR. CHOW

With locations in Beverly Hills, Miami, NYC, London and one opening soon in Las Vegas MR CHOW is at the top of the list for fine Chinese cuisine. It is best to order a variety of dishes to share with the table (“family style”) which makes it a great place for a social dinner with some friends or night out with some couples.

My ‘must-try’ menu selections include the Ma Mignon, lettuce wraps, MR CHOW noodles and of course, the Peking Duck.

3. NOBU

Nobu has a ton of locations around the world including Dubai and NYC (the two I have been to) and honestly, my husband and I both agree it is the one fabulous chain restaurant that is missing from Toronto. Do you hear me Nobu people? COME TO T.O!. With some of the best Asian fusion dishes I have ever had, here are some of our favorites that hubs and I have tried…

Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeño
Rock Shrimp Tempura with Creamy Spicy Sauce
Black Cod with Miso
Bigeye and Bluefin Toro Scallion Sushi Roll
Lobster Shitake Salad with Spicy Lemon Dressing

Though some of these sound like dishes you have seen on other menus – I promise – its not just rock shrimp…it’s the best rock shrimp you’ll ever taste – and its not just black cod with miso – its their signature dish and it’s ridic.

Matsuhisa Nobuyuki needs to get his tush to Toronto ASAP.

4. Il Sole

This Italian trattoria is an intimate and utterly delicious place tucked away in the midst of the celebs and glamour of Sunset Boulevard.

Super romantic and the food is amazing.
A few favorites?
The tagliatelle pasta with truffles (naturally) and the butter spaghetti with meatballs. Yum yum yummmmm.

5. Al Mahara

Last but most certainly not least is the Al Mahara restaurant at the Burj Al Arab 7-Star hotel in Dubai. Granted, this is obviously not a place you can dine at on a whim being that…well… its in friggin Dubai. This was a restaurant I had the pleasure of dining at on the final night of my honeymoon last summer. After the experience we had there – I simply cannot NOT write about it.

Simply put - the finest seafood in the world. The freshest, most delicious ingredients prepared by world-class chefs at this award-winning seafood restaurant that is sure to impress any foodie (even the self proclaimed ones ie moi). As if the cuisine itself isn’t enough to blow you away – you enjoy your meal while watching exotic fish swim around you in what has to be one of the most beautiful aquariums I have ever seen. It is literally an experience of a lifetime.

Some dishes to mention:

Atlantic Lobster Salad, Tomato, Avocado, Mango Chutney
Pan Fried Japanese Scallops, Wagyu Beef Cheek Ravioli, Bourguignon Sauce (Alcohol)
Foie Gras and Smoked Eel Terrine, Red-Black Fruit Pickles
Norwegian Halibut, Prawns,Gnocchi, Mussels ā la Diéppoise
Wagyu Beef “Rossini”, Spinach Subric, Maxim’s Truffle Potato (Alcohol), Served Medium Rare
Salt Crusted Seabass (for two, served tableside) with Seasonal Salad, Steamed Vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment